Monday 1 June 2015

Mera Naam Yousuf Hai - Episode 13: A Review and Update

To say I like this drama, is a serious understatement. I watch it two or three episodes at a time because if I watch just ONE episode, it leaves me wanting more, and patience was never my strong suit. If you haven't seen my introductory review of the drama (please do, don't want you to be lost), the OST for it played in my car on repeat. For like three weeks. At the top most volume. Yep, played like a tacky Bollywood song in a car of raging hormones and knock-off brand wearing boys cruising down Tariq Road. 

The other things I love about this drama are the colors - the visuals are...well for lack of a good word...just so pretty. I find myself wanting to wear a lot of outfits (and you KNOW what a big fashion police I can be). I love the women in this drama. Their smart mouths, intellect and strength. And lastly, I love the humor. It's there, it's smart, and it will make you laugh. No bathroom jokes, gay jokes, or filthy language (I'm looking at you Bollywood). 

So - without further ado, let me walk you through the latest episode...

You already know our hero, Yousuf. He is in jail again. This time he kidnapped Imran Mugheez (Zuleikha's cousin and the guy her dad wants her to marry) on the day of the nikah, which provides some great laughs, cos he and his best bud did it with a fake gun and had no clue what to do with the guy once they trapped him. The only issue I have with Yousuf, is for some reason (I think to imply youth though the guy doesn't look a day over 25) he wears shirts that are a size too small. Maybe it's cos he's so - you know - BUFF. The shirt is wanting to rip right off. Salman Khan style...ohhhh yeahhhh...

Errrrr...MOVING ON....


Zulekha wasn't in love with Yousuf until she really saw his devotion to her. I enjoyed seeing how she went from "I don't love you back. I don't even know you" to "This guy would do anything for me and meray dil mein bhi kuch kuch ho ra hei." Seeing her fathers brutality, she has agreed to marry Imran Mugheez IF her father drops all charges he made against Yousuf (more on that later).

Yousuf's not-evil stepmom. #TwoThumbsUp

Here's an important twist: Aparently Yousuf's dad and Zulekha's mom are also star-crossed lovers. We don't get details of how what happened, but it's made obvious that Zulekha's dad somehow weaseled her away from Yousuf's dad and married her himself. 

Let's get to the crux of this drama: Zulekha's dad. He wants to marry his sister's nand (pictured above) and they have apparently had the hots for each other forever. So dad makes a deal with his sister: his daughter marries her son and dad marries her nand. When Dad finds out Yousuf kidnapped Imran Mugheez, he files a fake FIR stating his nephew was beaten within his life and Yousuf and his friend extorted one crore for Imran to be returned. Hence the police have a field day beating him up. 
Now with Zulekha and Imran's nikah all done, dad looks like he is ready to bring home his bride...but our heroine doesn't look like she's gonna let that happen so easily...

Just in case you wanted to know if Imran Mugheez is a thug or wimp: the answer is wimp. Him pretending to have amnesia after he returns home from his 'kidnapping' is a laugh a second. #GoodActing

Zulekha demands her father be sent home within an hour or she won't let the rukhsati take place. As luck would have it, Molvi Sahab is supposed to marry the nand in an hour....yeah, I don't think that's gonna happen now lol.

This awesome scene where Zulekha lets her phuppo know who is wearing the pants in her relationship - like a boss.

Zulekha's gamble has paid off: she threatens to file for divorce if her dad marries Bushra (the nand) and Phuppo declares dad can't have Bushra until Zulekha is wedded and bedded. 

On this note the episode ends, with a promo for this week promising more fireworks. I know some people are double thinking watching this drama after the two gems Pyaray Afzal and Sadqay Tumharay produced by the writer, but I think what makes a difference between this and those works is the director, who has done a phenomenal job of painting these vibrant characters. Also, this drama has a lighter tone which is undeniable and obvious from the first episode, which also gives me hope that Yousuf isn't planning to die. #Win

I hope I've made believers out of you and I'm hoping you will tune in to watch this fun but thoughtful drama! Happy watching!

3 comments:

  1. Shamsi, thanks for bringing us up to date on this show. I want to wait till the drama finishes and then bing-watch it, because of the writer's previous track record - I watched his Pyaray Afzal and how the channel, the writer and the director played with all the viewers' time and emotions and it just left such a bad taste in the mouth, so I stayed away from Sadqay Tumharay (turned out to be a good decision).

    The big difference here, as you say, is the very sensible Mehreen Jabbar and I think she will give us something decent to watch. Plus, she never goes out of her way to give sad endings, so I am keeping my fingers and toes crossed for Yusuf (and Zuleikha!). Imran Abbas is having a good run with his dramas (I believe Alvida is doing well on TRPs?)...

    Thanks a bunch for the update :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure! Here's to keeping our fingers crossed for a happy ending!

      Delete
  2. Mera Naam Yousuf Hai is a forbidden love story. It revolves around the lives of hero Yousuf and heroine Zulaikha. Its a romantic Pakistani Drama by Imran Abbas.
    Yousuf sees Zulaikha on a train and falls in love with her at first sight. Zulaikha considers this all the s attraction of moment only. Zulaikha’s father wants her to marry her cousin.

    ReplyDelete